Monday, June 22, 2015

To Charleston

To Charleston

My first book was published by Book Surge Publishing out of Charleston, SC. The team of both black and white people were wonderful to me especially when everyone knew that a book of poetry from an unknown 30 something writer from Ohio wasn't going to pay their salaries. That didn't matter, they believed in me as a writer. Later I would publish several fictional stories with them as well. My experience with them in the beginning was what led me to have the confidence to write more. They also encouraged me to do readings and performances which led to me touring all over the country. I'm forever grateful for what they did for me. None of which they had to do. My account manager told me of how excited he was to publish my poetry because the world needs more poets. There aren't enough poets, too many gangsters, killers, and haters and not enough creators. Amen to that. In 2012 I visited the city for the first time and caught just a glimpse of how beautiful the city is. Full of art, culture, architecture, and wonderful people. This is the Charleston I know and love. Some horrible things have put Charleston in the news. A cop murdering a guy and trying to cover it up and then the mass shooting at the church. These despicable acts were committed by two individuals. I want you to know the Charleston I know. The one whose citizens helped a nobody become a somebody and treated a stranger like I was family, like I was part of that wonderful artist scene in that beautiful city. I pray for peace and healing for my friends and for God's blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment